The Action Bible Anytime Devotions Review
The Bible is God's Word. He gave us the Bible so that we could learn about Him, understand His ways, and be able to follow in the footsteps of Jesus. It is through the Bible that we learn how much He loves us and wants what is best for us. God shows us, through the Bible, how to live our lives and how to handle all of the things that are thrown at us. Sometimes, this is difficult for children to see as they learn the Bible stories from their parents and church teachers. That is what I really like about The Action Bible Anytime Devotions by David C Cook.
Check out what my 10 year old had to say about it:
It is a great book, in general. I thought that it was good that it focused on things like when you feel sad, or angry, or lonely. It gives you some great advice on how to pray to God and worship Him more. My favorite story was the one about getting angry because I get angry a lot when I am playing games because they are hard for me. It taught me to not be so angry at people or games by praying to God for help.
There is so much packed into this little book. It has 90 devotions for kids to read. Included in each 2 page devotion, there are ways to:
* Learn God's Word with an action verse ~ Below the title, there is a Bible verse that the devotion is based on. I love that they start it with a Bible verse!
* Apply it to what's happening in your life ~ The devotion starts with a real-life story or question. This will help your child know that God cares about what they are going through and what they are feeling. The Bible becomes real to them.
* Relate it to real people from the Bible ~ Then the story switches to something from the Bible. This shows that people in the Bible had real problems, too, and that your child is not alone in their trouble.
* Think about it to hep you grow ~ After the story, there are bullet points of application. The first bullet point, directly applies the story to your child's life.
* Talk to God using quick prayer guides ~ This is the second bullet point. It gives your child a sample prayer to pray.
* Share with others through questions and simple action ~ This third bullet point guides your child to take action.
* Take it further by going back to the Bible ~ At the end of the devotion, there is a direct story link to the Action Bible, also from David C Cook. Don't fret if you don't have an Action Bible. They provide the book, chapter, and verse in order to read about it in the Bible.
Our 10 year old has been going through this on his own. I let him pick whatever devotion that he wanted to read, so that he could pick stories and topics that were meaningful to him. I'm glad that I let him do that, because he was dealing with some anger, and so he was able to read through that devotion to get some guidance from the Bible. I thought that we had the Action Bible, from David C Cook, but it ends up that we have the Picture Bible instead. The stories don't line up exactly, and I wanted to have our son practice finding Bible references anyways. I decided to just have him read it directly from the Bible and that turned out great. It lead to some great discussions and had him actually reading from the Bible. It's a win-win for everyone!
There are many things that I like about these devotions. The pictures are very colorful and appealing for children. They look like comic book pictures and our son really likes that. I would suggest to the publisher that they add the Bible references for all of the pictures in the devotions. The Bible reference is given for the main story that is talked about in the devotion. There are more Bible pictures on the bottom of each page and it would be great to have the Bible references for these, as well, so the children can look these up as well!
We really like The Action Bible Anytime Devotions by David C Cook. Our son will continue to read through these and look up the references in the Bible. It will help him with his Bible practice as well as teach him about some topics that are in the Bible.
Go and see what the other reviwers thought about it! Click the link below~